Position: AVP Regional Architect, Chicago and Dallas
Job Location: Based in Chicago or Dallas
Based in Whippany, New Jersey, MetLife Investment Management (MIM) is one of the largest institutional investors and asset managers in the world, with over $587 billion in combined managed assets, and has consistently generated superior returns for both policyholders and shareholders. The enterprise has more than 900 dedicated professionals with extensive experience and expertise in all asset classes, with a strength in public and private fixed income and private assets, including real estate.
MIM Real Estate currently manages approximately $28 billion of direct investments nationally across office, apartment, industrial, retail, and hotel property types for internal (general account) and external institutional clients. The Real Estate Equity Team continues to selectively acquire assets in markets that enhance its expanding portfolio. In 2018 MIM committed to purchasing 30 properties with annual acquisition volume of $2-$3 billion.
In addition to direct investments, MetLife is among the largest mortgage lenders in US, with a portfolio in excess of $50 billion. Institutional investors have access to MIM’s unique platform and capabilities, intellectual capital, and the ability to work with a financially-strong partner offering attractive long-term returns and well-managed risk.
MIM Real Estate sources and manages portfolios of commercial real estate equities and mortgages through regional field offices in the United States and internationally. Partnering with asset managers, mortgage originators, and other regional architects, this Regional Architect position reduces investment risk during acquisition, development, asset management, and loan underwriting and management, through leadership and expertise in building design, construction, and environmental issues.
- Provide technical expertise, recommendations and support in decision-making process for new debt and equity investments regarding design, construction and environmental matters. Lead in the resolution of issues in these areas.
- Manage design, construction, and environmental matters in the existing debt and equity portfolios in support of the Business team’s goals.
- Manage engagement of third-party consultants during transaction due diligence.
- Participate as a voting member of the Regional Investment Committee.
- Lead and monitor new development construction projects in coordination with the Director of Real Restate Development, including design and construction evaluation, review construction progress and monitor construction management in support of project standards, hard cost budgeting, and scheduling criteria.
- Oversee project management for capital improvement projects. Scope projects, develop budgets, negotiate and manage contracts, and direct projects and consultant teams.
- Collaborate with asset managers to develop annual capital plans for real estate equity assets. Assist in managing physical property issues and ensure properties are well positioned to compete and outperform in their respective markets in terms of physical quality, amenities, efficiency, sustainability and resiliency.
- Serve as an expert resource to all stakeholders and mentor to Business Associates on architecture, engineering, development, and environmental responsibility and remediation.
- Analyze and diagnose issues and technical problems, simplify and communicate to stakeholders, and ultimately optimize risk/return investment decisions.
- As necessary, work across regions to support the workload in other regions or on portfolio transactions.
- Implement operational and architectural programs pursuant to Regional Office requests and national directives.
- Participate in MIM Real Estate’s ESG (Environment, Social, and Governance) Working Group and promote sustainability and ESG Goals in all investment assets.
- Maintain consistency of administration through compliance with department policies and guidelines, prepare appropriate reports and memos as required and as may be otherwise requested, and provide recommendations to the Regional Investment Committee.
- Reports to: VP Managing Architect and indirectly to Regional Directors in Chicago and Dallas
- Direct reports/team: Third Party Consultants
- Key Stakeholders: Debt Originators, Asset Managers, Acquisition Directors, Development Directors, Agricultural Investment Managers
Essential Business Experience and Technical Skills:
- Must be a Licensed Architect with active registration in one or more states
- Professional degree in architecture or other related field required, and other advanced degree preferred
- 15+ years of experience with building design, construction and maintenance
- 15+ years of experience with office, multi-family, industrial, retail and/or hotel building types
- Experience as Owner’s Representative and/or Project Manager for design and construction
- Experience with building and property environmental matters including remediation and other risk mitigation strategies
- Real estate investment and finance business knowledge/interest
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills, and a natural team player
- Highly motivated and self-directed individual
- Strong decision making and facilitation skills
- Outstanding organization and prioritization skills
- Experience in successfully managing multiple projects simultaneously
- Architecture / Design
- Project Management
- Due Diligence
10+ to 15 years
Apply for this job