When you join Hines, you will work alongside innovative leaders who set the standards responsible for our reputation as an industry leader today, and you'll be a part of shaping our future in the years to come.
As a Director – Retail Development & Acquisitions with Hines, you will be responsible for sourcing and ongoing management of retail acquisitions, development and redevelopment projects. You will also be responsible and accountable for project financial results and investment returns for Hines and its co-investors. Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Research and source potential land sites in coordination with City Heads and other Hines team members
- Develop relationships with landowners, developers, retailers, civic and community groups and government agencies conducive to originating, supporting, or processing new retail opportunities
- Work with the development teams to coordinate all underwriting and build a project proforma taking into account market research, municipal fees, site constraints, development budget, development schedule, construction budget, construction schedule, operating budget, and financial assumptions
- Act as a primary coordination point for the Investment Committee process; gather asset and market information and build consensus between Regional and Central teams
- Support predevelopment activities including feasibility, design, layout and entitlement, permitting and due diligence.
- Assist in the development of retail project business plans, including preliminary marketing and leasing budgets and proformas
- Coordinate with construction team throughout predevelopment and into construction for a smooth project transition and adherence to development agreements and assumptions
- Collaborate with Property Management and Asset Management on operating budget assumptions, including rents and concessions, and lease-up schedule throughout the lease-up process to verify accuracy of the underwriting assumption
- Assist with the ongoing Asset Management responsibilities to see projects through to natural conclusions
Minimum Requirements include:
Bachelor's degree from an accredited institution required
MBA or Masters in Real Estate from an accredited institution preferred
Ten or more years of retail real estate development experience
Experience in Asset Management, Property Management, and leasing preferred
Knowledge of and involvement in current retail deal flow in West Coast markets preferred
Established affiliations with industry organizations (e.g. Urban Land Institute, International Council of Shopping Centers)
Frequent travel required
Hines is a privately owned global real estate investment firm founded in 1957 with a presence in 219 cities in 23 countries. Hines has approximately $124.3 billion of assets under management, including $63.8 billion for which Hines provides fiduciary investment management services, and $60.5 billion for which Hines provides third-party property-level services. The firm has 148 developments currently underway around the world. Historically, Hines has developed, redeveloped or acquired 1,362 properties, totaling over 449 million square feet. The firm's current property and asset management portfolio includes 514 properties, representing over 222 million square feet. With extensive experience in investments across the risk spectrum and all property types, and a pioneering commitment to sustainability, Hines is one of the largest and most-respected real estate organizations in the world. Visit for more information.
We are an equal opportunity employer and support workforce diversity. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
No calls or emails from third parties at this time please.
10+ to 15 years