United Properties has been creating deep roots in the commercial real estate industry for 100 years. The company imagines new possibilities in real estate to help strengthen communities and create lasting legacies. United Properties provides market expertise for ground-up development, redevelopment and acquisitions of value-add and stable investments. The company invests in and develops office, industrial, retail, mixed-use and senior housing properties. United Properties is owned by the Pohlad Companies and is headquartered in Minneapolis with an office in Denver.
This position will be responsible for providing critical information to the Management Team, Development group and Asset Management group to be used for strategic decision making by preparing financial analysis (including but not limited to analysis of the company’s financial performance, capital stack, return metrics and tenant/partner underwriting), research, and administrative and tactical project support. The company is currently implementing a new data warehouse and data visualization platform to support and improve accessibility of information for financial and project analysis. This position will partner as the business lead on implementation of these tools and will be the ongoing primary owner of the data warehouse ensuring the completeness and accuracy of the data available and setting up reports. This position will be the primary owner of all financial underwriting of tenants, partners and general contractors that is reviewed and approved by the Credit Screening Committee which is made up of a number of executives.
- Data Warehouse & Visualization (50% decreasing down to 30% after implementation is complete)
- Serve as the business interface and co-project lead in collaboration with IT and Director of Business Analytics, AVP on the implementation of the new data warehouse and data visualization platform.
- Field data, report and analysis requests from management and business lines. Propose solution based on requirements. Determine steps necessary to ensure all data necessary is housed in the data warehouse, scrub data if necessary and determine how to data visualization tool to deliver report/analysis. Then execute and deliver requests in a timely manner based on priority
- Develop reports which can be automated and ultimately owned by the requesting business providing support when necessary.
- Train appropriate individuals on the data visualization tool empowering others to answer their own questions with the data available.
Credit Screening (25% initially)
- Underwrite the financials of potential tenants, general contractors, joint venture partners and senior living third party operators. Provide financial review reports utilizing S&P Capital IQ and recommendations to credit screening committee for approval.
- Facilitate all credit screening committee meetings where financial reviews are discussed and approved.
- Field and track the status of all underwriting requests, delivering reports and recommendations within 2 weeks of the request.
- Perform annual financial reviews of existing large tenants, general contractors and senior housing third party operators.
- Coordinate credit and background checks as needed through the company’s third-party service provider.
Financial Analysis (25% initially)
- Prepare or update analysis of company’s actual and forecasted financial performance, capital stack, return metrics, etc. on a quarterly basis.
- Compile results into professional presentations used by Executive Leadership at meetings with owners, banks and other key partners.
- Support the Director of Business Analytics, AVP with analysis of new business lines as necessary.
- All other duties as assigned or needed.
- Monitor real estate market trends ensuring these are factored into daily work and analysis.
- Special projects as assigned.
Education and Experience
- 4-year college degree required with a major in finance or accounting preferred.
- 3-5 years of experience required with a commercial real estate firm and/or public accounting experience with real estate industry specialization preferred.
- Ability to read, understand, and demonstrate knowledge and understanding of financial statements.
- High degree of computer skills including proficiency in accounting and analysis systems preferred. Knowledge of Argus, MRI and VTS preferred. Advanced proficiency in Excel and Windows environment required.
- Database or data warehouse experience preferred.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, excellent listening skills, and a high degree of human relation skills in order to interact with a variety of people with different position levels internally and externally.
- Proven effective project management experience with the ability to handle multiple projects.
- Demonstrated numerical and analytical skills required.
- Ability to obtain information from Senior Executives and others on projected activity levels to aid in planning and forecasting financial results.
- Organization ability and exceptional attention to detail, specifically ability to schedule and manage multiple priorities and work successfully under pressure.
- Ability to present complex issues in a clear, simple way.
- Willingness to take on new challenges, responsibilities and assignments.
- Ability to report and analyze results for a variety of business lines with varying benchmarks.
- Willingness to work in a collaborative and driven professional environment.
The employee will work primarily in an office environment while performing the duties of this job. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
The employee may be prone to sitting for lengthy periods of time while performing the duties of this job. The employee is regularly required to talk or hear as well as frequently required to move around; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; and reach with hands and arms. Occasionally required to hear objects, tools, or controls. Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision. Lifting requirements may be required to lift and/or move up to 10 lbs.
The Company reserves the right to revise or change job duties and responsibilities as the need arises. This job description does not constitute a written or implied contract of employment.
- Financial Analysis
2+ to 5 years