ECONorthwest, the Pacific Northwest’s largest economics consulting firm, has an immediate opening for a full-time Associate in its Development & Transportation practice. This position will focus primarily on topics relating to planning and urban development, such as development and market feasibility, transit-oriented development, housing finance, housing policy, and land use. For examples of past ECONorthwest projects please see our website: .
- Scope tasks and contribute to analysis methods as part of larger projects
- Undertake project-based analysis that may include feasibility analysis for residential and commercial development, mapping and spatial analysis, demographic analysis, and zoning, land use and policy research
- Prepare written and visual documentation of findings
- Juggle multiple projects and meet concurrent deadlines
- Assist with business development efforts (proposals, presentations, and other materials)
- Intellectual curiosity and critical thinking, with an interest in the economics of development and / or public policy
- Minimum of three years of relevant work experience, OR a master’s degree in economics, planning, public policy, real estate or a related field AND some related work experience
- Familiarity with relevant public policy issues: zoning and land use, housing affordability, and real estate development
- Dependable, organized, and detail-oriented
- Strong communications skills and ability to work well in teams
- Collaborative, flexible, and willing to perform a diversity of tasks
- Strong ability to juggle competing priorities and working under deadlines
- Demonstrated excellence in written and oral communications
- Advanced experience with Microsoft Excel, Word, and PowerPoint
- Experience using quantitative and statistical methods in an applied setting
Desired Qualifications and Skills
We are looking for candidates with any of the following desired qualifications or skills:
- Experience analyzing and interpreting real estate and socioeconomic market datasets, including taxlots, zoning, Co-Star, and / or U.S. Census and ACS/CPS microdata
- Experience with real estate analysis using pro formas, familiarity with public-private-partnerships, and knowledge of public budgeting processes and tax policy
- Awareness of the historical and on-going impacts that federal, state, and local land use, housing, financial and other policies have had on low-income households, communities of color, and other marginalized populations.
- Experience presenting information to public audiences and communicating information for a variety of stakeholders
- Experience in a consulting setting
- GIS / spatial analysis
- Data visualization experience with Illustrator or other layout software
ECONorthwest staff are working remotely during the COVID-19 pandemic. The selected candidate will be expected to work remotely until public health guidelines allow our offices to safely reopen. When this occurs, the selected candidate would be expected to work in one of our offices located in Portland, Oregon, Seattle Washington, or Los Angeles, California.
The salary for this full-time position will be commensurate with market rates. This position is eligible for full company benefits.
Open until filled. We expect to conduct interviews beginning the week of October 5th.
Required Application Materials
All materials (aside from essay questions) should be submitted in PDF format. An applicant who fails to submit any of the required application materials will not advance to an interview.
- Cover letter: 1-page limit, including where you saw this job announcement, why you want to work at ECONorthwest and which desired qualifications you feel are your strongest.
- Current resume: Include relevant coursework completed in the past five years.
- Writing sample: 5 pages or less, highlighting your research and writing skills
- Essay questions: 200 words per question. These questions do not need to be submitted with your cover letter, resume, or writing sample. These questions will be available to you on the application page.
- Please describe a planning or development related project that you contributed to in a professional or academic setting. Please describe the role that you played and an overview of the project, and discuss what went well and what you learned from the project.
- ECONorthwest has a Diversity, Equity, Inclusion (DEI) initiative focused on strengthening our consulting and better serving our clients and communities. Please describe your understanding of equity considerations related to land use, housing, financial, or other policies and any relevant professional or lived experience you have relating to equity issues in policy-making, public or real estate investments, or in research.
Established in 1974, ECONorthwest has over three decades of experience helping clients make sound decisions based on rigorous economic, planning and financial analysis. ECONorthwest provides professional economics, planning, and financial consulting services and expert testimony for a wide variety of private and public sector clients throughout the United States and worldwide.
This position is classified as exempt full-time. The selected candidate would be benefits eligible. ECONorthwest offers competitive wages and generous benefits including medical/dental/vision/life/ disability insurance, flexible spending accounts, 401(k), and paid holidays.
ECONorthwest is not a sponsoring organization.
ECONorthwest is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
- Advisory Services/Consulting
- Project Management
- Research/Market Analysis