Dallas-based, privately held commercial real estate development and investment management company with exceptional performance specializing in value-add and opportunistic real estate investments. With an entrepreneurial spirit and proven 30+-year track record across several market cycles. We have steadily built up a portfolio of 15 million square feet of industrial and office properties and 4,000 multifamily units located nationally.
The Construction Manager – Commercial/ Industrial candidate will report directly to the Senior Director – Engineering & Construction and will be based in Chicago, Illinois. This position will work closely with the Commercial Asset Management and Property Management teams to provide support throughout all phases of construction on newly acquired and existing assets. Projects to include tenant improvement, interior/exterior renovations, building envelope restoration/repairs/replacement (roofs, facades, windows), foundation/concrete repairs, parking lot repairs, truck dock equipment, site utilities, MEP repairs/replacement, etc. This role is not involved in any new or ground-up construction projects.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES / DUTIES
The activities listed here are not all-inclusive; rather, they indicate the types of activities normally performed by this position. The successful candidate will be able to demonstrate core competencies in the following areas:
• Overall responsibility for construction / project management and construction administration activities from beginning to end, including all phases prior to, during and after construction.
• Responsibilities may include capital needs assessment, initial project planning, scope development, design documentation review, costing support, scheduling, establishing pre-construction processes, managing construction buyouts, supervising construction execution by third-party contractors, project accounting, and project closeout.
• Ability to coordinate, schedule and oversee multiple concurrent projects.
• Identify and assess local qualified consultants and contractors to provide construction services for design and construction of the project to include past experience with similar projects, verification of references, financial stability and bonding capacity.
• Manage and coordinate work of all involved in the project, including consultants, contractors, and subcontractors.
• Prepare RFP (Request for Proposal) documents, for various types of construction projects; scope development, budget and timeline estimates, contractor qualification, and competitive bid solicitation.
• Provide bid analysis, as well as consultant / contractor selection recommendations.
• Prepare all contract documents for execution.
• Set-up and maintain an effective communication network for the project.
• Ensure general contractor project delivery schedule is consistent with proforma timeline.
• Conduct project “kick-off” meeting with design consultant, general contractor, property management, and tenants (as necessary).
• Conduct regular project status update meetings with contractors, property management and tenants (as necessary).
• Maintain all required project data and records; log and track all design changes and modifications, construction changes, contract modifications and potential claims.
• Monitor construction process to ensure constructability standards and project delivery milestones are met.
• Review and approve all RFIs, submittals, change requests, draw requests and invoices.
• Prepare monthly project status reports, to include current schedules, variance to budget, potential cost overruns or scope changes. Proactively communicate potential areas that may impact schedule and/or budget.
• Provide regular ongoing communications (written and verbal), with property management and building tenants. The goal being effective communications and minimal disruption to tenant operations.
• Process all project related invoices and applications for payment. Create capital draw packages for lenders and accounting.
• Coordinate project closeout with all project consultants, general contractor, and lenders (as required).
• Coordinate and manage building turnover process and perform project acceptance walk-through to ensure compliance with project goals and scope.
• Performs other duties as assigned by the Senior Director – Engineering & Construction or Commercial Asset Management and Property Management teama.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION and EXPERIENCE
-Bachelor's degree from a four-year college or university in a relevant field of study (architecture, engineering, construction management), preferable.
-Minimum 5-years experience in commercial/ industrial project/ construction management, is required.
-Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
-Detail oriented with strong organizational and analytical skills.
-Ability to provide efficient, timely, reliable and courteous service to customers and clients.
-Ability to effectively and efficiently present information and interface with Asset Management, Acquisitions Team, and Company Leadership.
-Ability to prioritize and work independently.
-Requires advanced analytical and quantitative skills.
-Ability to comprehend, analyze, and interpret construction documents.
-Ability to comprehend basic legal language (contract and lease), as necessary.
-Ability to solve problems in stressful situations.
OTHER SKILLS and/or ABILITIES
-PC literacy – MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook - speed and quality of work imperative.
-Must be able to work well under pressure and in tight time.
SCOPE OF RESPONSIBILITY
Decisions made with thorough understanding of procedures, company policies, and business practices to achieve general results and deadlines. Self-sufficient in monitoring work unit and/or project deadlines. Errors in judgment may cause short-term impact to department.
- Capital Markets
- Property Management
2+ to 5 years
This job is no longer active.