Organization: The National Development Council The National Development Council (NDC) is the oldest national non-profit community and economic development organization in the United States. NDC was founded in 1969 with a mission of increasing the flow of capital for investment, jobs and community development to underserved urban and rural areas across the country.
Position: Field Director Field Director (Directors) deliver NDC’s core services, including technical assistance and capacity building, to local governments and non-profit corporations. NDC Field Directors provide expert technical assistance and development services for commercial and residential development and small business expansion. NDC’s services and products are used to leverage private investment and make determinations for appropriately sizing public financial incentives in order to attract maximum private investment.
NDC seeks to add another full-time Field Director for its eastern United States team. A candidate based in the New York metropolitan area is preferred. The position still will require travel. The person selected for this position will be expected to:
• Design, evaluate and implement economic and housing development programs.
• Evaluate real estate development proposals.
• Structure incentives and financing packages for real estate and operating businesses.
• Represent NDC’s programs and services for practical application in client communities. These programs include:
- Grow America Fund - a small business lending company (SBLC) and community development finance institution (CDFI)
- Corporate Equity Fund - a syndicated fund that purchases housing and historic tax credits
- HEDC New Markets - a community development entity (CDE) that has received several allocations of New Markets Tax Credits (NMTCs)
- Housing and Economic Development Corporation - NDC’s development affiliate involved with public-private partnerships for public facility and social infrastructure development.
• Instruct public sector and non-profit staff in economic development and housing development finance including:
- Small business credit analysis and financing
- Commercial/industrial real estate development
- Affordable and market-rate rental and for-sale housing development
• A bachelor’s degree in public or business administration, finance, planning, real estate development or other related fields. Master’s degree in a related field preferred.
• At least seven years of increasingly responsible experience with economic development and housing development.
• Highly energetic, creative self-starter capable of managing various assignments for multiple parties.
• An extensive working knowledge with the principles and practices of business credit, real estate credit and affordable housing. Proven experience with underwriting operating businesses, affordable housing developments, and commercial real estate developments.
• A solid working knowledge of existing economic development resources commonly used as a means of encouraging private investment. These programs include but are not limited to:
- U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA) - 7(a) Loan Guarantee and 504 loan programs.
- Federal Tax Credits including New Markets Tax Credits (NMTC), Low Income Housing Tax Credits (LIHTC) and Rehabilitation/Historic Tax Credits (RTC).
- Real Estate Tax Abatement program and Tax Increment Financing programs.
- Taxable and Tax-Exempt Bond Financing programs.
• Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with professional colleagues, municipal clients, public officials, developers, and representatives from private and public financial organizations.
• A demonstrated ability to solve problems in a collaborative work environment.
• An ability to clearly summarize and communicate complex financial information.
Submit a cover letter and resume by close of business Tuesday, December, 1.
- Community Development
- Advisory Services/Consulting
7+ to 10 years
This job is no longer active.