About the Position
Capitalize Albany Corporation is seeking a highly motivated, professional and experienced candidate for Senior Economic Developer. This is a fast-paced position responsible for managing the administration of business development programs, including the Corporation’s attraction and retention efforts, lending programs and strategic initiatives. The Senior Economic Developer also assists with project development and financing, including assistance with the City of Albany Industrial Development Agency and the Corporation’s real estate transactions. This position is supervised by and reports to the Director of Economic Development.
Capitalize Albany Corporation is a 501-c3 that facilitates transformational real estate development projects; assists in the expansion, retention and attraction of businesses; promotes local economic activity; and creates economic development programs for the City of Albany, NY. The Corporation, which is tasked with executing the City of Albany’s economic development strategy, is guided by a Board of Directors composed of executives representing local corporations, colleges and universities, legal firms and financial institutions. The Corporation offers excellent benefits and a competitive salary commensurate with experience and skills.
Business & Strategic Development
- Plans and supervises programs related to small business development, project financing and management, development and implementation of grants and the preparation of revitalization strategies.
- Works and interacts with government officials, business leaders, community and neighborhood organizations and the public.
- Confers and maintains cooperative relationships with banks, real estate brokers, utilities, and chambers of commerce to monitor the status of economic development in the City.
- Establishes liaison with banks, commerce groups and trading companies in order to encourage investors to locate in the City.
- May act as staff or the Corporation’s designee to related boards, committees and other related development organizations, such as local Business Improvement Districts, the Albany Industrial Development Agency, Capital Resource Corporation and Albany Community Development Agency.
- Compiles and disseminates information as to desirable locations, availability of land, tax structure, utilities, transportation, labor, financing including tax exempt, and any other community resources information related to such a move or expansion.
- Assists in the preparation and review of RFP’s for services related to real estate development.
Research and Analysis
- Researches and provides recommendations on economic development opportunities and best practices in business development, project development and strategic planning.
- Evaluates results of economic development studies and make recommendations.
- Evaluates the needs of businesses seeking assistance from the Corporation and proposes appropriate assistance packages.
Qualifications and Skills
The successful candidate will have a bachelor’s degree in business, management or a related field and at least three years of hands-on experience. A master’s degree is preferred. The successful candidate must have experience in the economic development field including solid knowledge of the principles and practices employed in business development and project management. Understanding of real estate practices, working knowledge of economic financing practices (loans, tax credits, PILOTs, etc.), and analytic skills, to include financial feasibility criteria and assessment techniques, is desired. Candidates must have demonstrated ability to effectively interact with business representatives, government officials, lending organizations and real estate professionals.
The successful candidate must be well organized, personable, results-driven and detail oriented. Excellent people skills, verbal and written communication skills are critical. Flexibility and ability to manage multiple projects and tasks simultaneously and efficiently in a team and independently is essential. Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Excel, Access and PowerPoint is desirable. Having reliable transportation, Microsoft Office proficiency and advanced word processing skills are required.
Please email both a cover letter and resume to the address provided with “Senior Economic Developer Position” in the subject line. Visit Capitalize Albany's website for more information and an email address at which to apply.
- Business Development
- Community Development
- Project Management
- Alternative Investments
- Hospitality / Entertainment
2+ to 5 years
This job is no longer active.