Broadstone Net Lease, Inc. (“BNL”) is an internally-managed real estate investment trust (“REIT”) that acquires, owns, and manages primarily single-tenant commercial real estate properties that are net leased on a long-term basis to a diversified group of tenants. We utilize an investment strategy underpinned by strong fundamental credit analysis and prudent real estate underwriting. BNL’s diversified portfolio of net leased real estate includes industrial, healthcare, restaurant, office, and retail property types.
The Director, Retail & Restaurant Property Management will oversee the retail and restaurant portion of the BNL portfolio. The ideal candidate will have experience in commercial property asset management and financial analysis. This position reports to the SVP, Property Management and can be based in Phoenix, AZ or Rochester, NY. Direct reports include (1) Associate Property Manager.
Essential Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- Overall management of BNL’s growing retail and restaurant portfolio, including ultimate responsibility for tenant relations, lease analysis, and asset preservation.
- Build and maintain positive, professional tenant relationships to include identifying and developing opportunities for BNL to participate in future investment with tenants.
- Oversee analysis and respond to tenant requests for or notices regarding capital improvement projects, tenant improvement allowances, changes of control, and property substitutions and general lease related inquiries.
- Negotiate lease renewals and amendments and landlord consents.
- Oversee third party and direct property management services including rent collection, budgeting, expense management, escrow balances, and annual reconciliations.
- Direct the lease compliance function for all retail and restaurant properties, including financial reporting, insurance, environmental, and property condition requirements and delivery of recommendations to SVP level.
- Conduct (or oversee, as applicable) site-level property inspections and reporting as required by company policy.
- Support the Acquisition Department's due diligence efforts by reviewing/summarizing leases, evaluating future property management/ownership liability, and assisting in the creation of property level business plans for new investments that forecast capital and operating expenditures.
- Collaborate with Asset Management group in retail and restaurant dispositions and releasing endeavors, including review of Broker Opinions of Value.
- Provide support needed for quarterly portfolio valuations.
- Manage and develop direct reports including the Associate Property Manager.
- Execute duties and maintain standards in accordance with company policies and procedures.
- Additional duties as required.
- Overtime hours may be required as job duties demand.
- Strong critical thinking and problem resolution skills in areas such as lease negotiation and compliance, property management, and general landlord/tenant relationship matters, with a focus on flexibility in identification and presentation of resolutions and improvements.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, with an ability to communicate and present complex information succinctly.
- Sound understanding of legal contracts and lease provisions.
- Strong modeling skills and demonstrated experience with Microsoft Excel.
- Self-motivated, positive, and committed professional.
- Strong planning and organizational skills with an ability to perform under deadline pressure.
- High attention to detail; Passionate about quality and accuracy.
- Leader and team player adept at coordinating, monitoring, and motivating others to meet company goals.
- A solid understanding of building construction and systems
- Bachelor's degree from a four-year accredited college or university required
- A minimum of 5-10+ years' experience in commercial real estate. Leasing and property management experience preferred, but willing to consider experience in acquisition and disposition as well.
- Experience with asset management and property management software such as MRI
- High level proficiency in Microsoft Office, including Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook
Environment and Physical Demands:
- Professional office environment with routine use of standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets, and fax machine; noise level typical of a standard office environment
- Prolonged sitting, computer and telephone use, as well as standing, filing, stooping, bending, reaching and lifting, and carrying up to 25 pounds
- Ability to travel by plane, train, and automobile and operate a motor vehicle