Assistant Controller - Property
Office Location: Foster City Office - Foster City, CA
MidPen Housing is a non-profit organization who develops high-quality affordable housing communities, professionally manages the properties in those communities, and provides services to residents.
As a key member of the Accounting Department, the Assistant Controller - Property manages a group of professional accountants, ensuring the department meets all reporting objectives which drive business decisions and assist in the development and implementation of financial and operational performance metrics. The Assistant Controller - Property oversees the financial close process for all entities including review and reconciliation of property intercompany eliminations and reporting financial results to management. The Property Accounting team consists of a group of strong individual contributors of 9. This role will come onboard to manage a team of 3 seasoned team members as a start with a potential to take on more.
The Assistant Controller - Property works closely with the external auditors and Accounting Leadership to ensure thorough and accurate audits. The Assistant Controller - Property will be expected to lead in identification of areas of improvement of existing and/or implementation of new reporting systems to better provide the management team with operational and accounting information necessary to proactively manage a growing business.
The Assistant Controller - Property will lead the recruitment and development of talented employees while managing multiple projects and responsibilities. A strong emphasis is also placed on communication skills, both verbal and written. Success in the role will be measured by the ability to positively influence and interact at all levels of the organization, successful mentorship and development of the accounting team, and ability to shift seamlessly between individual contributor and strategic leader to drive measurable results.
• Full ownership of the financial results of the property accounting portfolio including but not limited to:
• Directs, prepares and completes monthly, quarterly and annual financial reporting for multiple entities
• Reviews entity level financial statements, variance analysis, related account reconciliations and supporting documents to ensure the financial statements are in conformity with accounting principles generally accepted in the United States (GAAP)
• Act as the primary liaison to external auditors and manage the annual financial audit of all properties. Assists in the submission and reviews the annual tax return preparations
• Assists the consolidation team to review and reconcile property level eliminations to ensure proper allocation and elimination of intercompany transactions and diagnosing issues
• Maintains regular contact and builds solid working relationships with corporate departments and dispersed properties management team to ensure a high level of customer service and quality deliverables
• Supports the development and maintenance of the accounting policies and procedures to ensure proper controls
• Manages, mentors and develops a high performing professional accounting team
• Participates in any departmental training and education programs. Seeks out opportunities to contribute to the success of the programs by identifying areas where training is needed and assists in developing appropriate training materials
• Stays current on accounting standards. Identifies and researches accounting issues as they arise and prepares written recommendation for appropriate accounting treatment to ensure GAAP compliance
• Demonstrates an understanding of system capabilities and proficiencies
• May serve on one or more cross-functional committees providing guidance and appropriate department representation
• Leads or participates in special projects as opportunities arise. Takes ownership of the project and follows through to completion within established timeframes
• Performs ad hoc analysis and reporting
• Performs other assignments as required
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
• BA/BS in Accounting and a minimum seven (7) years of accounting and financial reporting experience with increasing responsibilities or a combination of education and experience
• MBA/CPA or equivalent preferred
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
• Experience in managing accounting processes and procedures
• Advanced technical accounting knowledge and application of US GAAP and internal controls
• Experience in partnership accounting and affordable housing or real estate is a plus
• Strong knowledge of ERP accounting systems and implementation of new reporting tools
• Inquisitive personality and strong analytical skills to identify root cause of problems
• Strategic thinker who sees the bigger picture and can work deep in the details with a desire for continuous improvement
• Sets high expectation for accuracy and timely delivery of work of themselves and the team
• Operationally experienced working with larger teams. Unquestionable integrity and discretion and ability to ruthlessly prioritize time conflicting tasks
• Confident, self-starter with ability to work with minimal direction
• Strong people management skills with capability to develop and mentor a talented team
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills and the ability to establish collaborative relationships with other departments at varying levels of the organization
• Commitment to the Mission and Values of MidPen Services and MidPen Housing
• Must possess a valid California driver's license, reliable transportation, and proof of current auto insurance policy
• Constantly perform desk-based computer tasks
• Frequently sitting
• Occasionally stand/walk, reach/work above shoulders, grasp lightly/fine manipulation, grasp forcefully, use a telephone, sort/file paperwork or parts, lift/carry/push/pull objects that weigh up to 10 pounds
• Rarely twist/bend/stoop/squat, kneel/crawl.
This description reflects management's assignment of essential functions, it does not proscribe or restrict the tasks that may be assigned
Consistent with its obligations under the law, MidPen Housing Corp. will provide reasonable accommodation to any employee with a disability who requires accommodation to perform the essential functions of his or her job.
To apply, visit
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
7+ to 10 years
This job is no longer active.