Lendlease and Google have signed a partnership agreement to jointly undertake the master planning, entitlement and development of four new neighborhoods in the San Francisco Bay Area cities of San Jose, Sunnyvale and Mountain View, over the next 15 years, with an estimated end development value of approximately $15 billion.
These four districts will be genuine mixed-use neighborhoods and will be comprised of more than 15 million square feet of office, residential, retail, hospitality and community development space. Under the agreement, Google will focus on the delivery of the office components and Lendlease will be the developer, builder and owner of the residential, retail, hospitality and community components. The project will ultimately bring approximately 15,000 new units (mix of condo, multi-family, co-living and affordable housing) to a region that is in need of residential investment. Master planning has already begun and subject to planning approval, delivery of the project should begin as early as 2022.
The Director of Development Operations (DDO) leads the design and development of strategic operational plans and policies, overseeing design strategy implementation, building and managing key stakeholder relationships and influencing the management of resources to deliver project outcomes for large complex master plans. Through the leadership and development of direct reports, the DDO oversees the operational framework, policies and management tools across several large districts. The objective is to develop and implement strategies for efficient governance that ensure and effective commercial business practices, operational efficiency and process improvement. The DDO will ensure the achievement of company objectives in accordance with stakeholder requirements and in compliance with regulatory frameworks.
Essential Job Functions, Duties and Responsibilities
The following statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by individuals assigned to this position. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities and skills required of personnel so classified.
- Lead the Development Project Management teams and functions to achieve desired project outcomes.
- Take a portfolio approach to the preparation of development and design briefs, and developing Design solutions from Concept to Construction documents, to achieve the Project Vision and Commercial metrics.
- Ensure consistency in project briefs that promote efficiency and continuous improvement.
- Develop design solutions that support and promote the implementation of the digital design and design for manufacture.
- Manage the cost planning teams at a project level to ensure the Development Project Managers and Cost Planners work cohesively in support of the development goals.
- Responsible for signoff of the budget advice for all projects using information prepared by Cost Planning.
- Lead in the implementation of Design Quality process and procedures & ROAD on all projects.
- Review and approval of the Development Operations managed Commercial Assessment inputs for each project.
- Client facing role representing consistency of approach, process & procedures across districts and certainty of delivery outcome.
- Support the operational activities within the assigned districts to ensure operations are fiscally and ethically viable, supporting the achievement of business objectives and meeting compliance obligations.
- In coordination with District Leads and Finance, establishing and manage budgets to achieve financial targets
- Communicates company/regional strategy and how the financial decisions and commercial activities across the organization are interrelated and impact the ability to successfully deliver that strategy.
- Influence the most efficient utilization of resources, identifying budgets and resourcing needs required to pursue each key initiative and assessing the likely return on investment to ensure the most efficient utilization of resources within the defined parameters.
- Streamline business processes and relationships, aligning delivery of activities with organizational needs to ensure that delivery outcomes are quantifiable and replicable.
- Foster and maintain effective and collaborative partnerships with a wide range of internal and external stakeholders across functions, ensuring the ongoing development and expansion of stakeholder engagement to achieve strategic and operational goals.
- Drive the design, procurement and interface with the Construction team to deliver a truly integrated project solution.
- Work closely with the Lendlease 2020 team through Practices, Project Excellence and Integrated Solutions
- Establish and lead the teams required to achieve successful divestment /acquisition /integration of any business platforms into/out of the company
- Innovative & Strategic Initiatives
- Develop and maintain frameworks that support the global and regional innovation initiatives and fit within the Development business
- Actively engage with the global and regional digital teams to assist in the implementation of the digital design and design for manufacture platform.
- Business Operations
- Oversee the implementation, training and adherence for all operating platforms and processes pertaining to the Development and Construction activities within the Development business.
- In coordination with the Project Director and the leadership team ensure governance through the following processes
- Project Reviews and Project Control Groups
- Business & Project Reviews
- Participation in, and contribution to LL Global and Regional initiatives; including Residential Practices as appropriate.
- Improve, administer and review internal operations across the portfolio from origination through to delivery assisting the business to manage and de-risk projects to achieve safety, sustainability, financial metrics and strategic objectives.
- Conduct specific project reviews and development acquisitions
- Develop, implement, oversee the creation of the Development Operations framework including organizational design & integration, people & culture, processes and skills required to effectively run the Development Operations functions and ensure they are embedded into the business.
- Operational Excellence
- To improve the operational capacity of the Development businesses by optimizing activities and improving productivity
- Developing and implementing initiatives focused upon enhancing future capabilities & skills to provide medium to longer term sustained business capacity and improved performance.
- Analyzing and evaluating the impact of economic and technological trends to mitigate risks and leverage potential opportunities to support the continued successful performance
- Focus to build and nurture both internal and external relationships and to specifically support the business leaders within development business to achieve the set goals and strategy; specifically fostering the relationship and culture between Development and Construction business
- Manage the performance and career development of direct reports. Lead the conversation framework process and develop talent through on-going succession and development planning.
- Provides balanced and constructive feedback to team members to help lift performance and build capability.
- Leads the diversity and inclusion, flexibility, innovation and wellness initiatives to engage and retain top talent and establish Lendlease as an employer of choice within their area of responsibility.
- Encourage organic growth and continued enhancement of our people’s knowledge, skills and capabilities
General Background and Minimum Requirements
- Four-year degree, in engineering, construction sciences, business administration or equivalent required.
- Requires 15-20 years of experience in development, project management, or related areas.
- Advanced knowledge of the development/construction industry and company operations required.
- Extensive knowledge of financial operations, design, and employee relations required.
- Excellent organizational, leadership, communication, and analytical skills are needed.
- Relevant tertiary qualifications in the property, design, finance or engineering
- A subject matter expert with extensive operational experience and knowledge of the property and construction industries, building design principles, and relevant regional legislation
Lendlease is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.
VEVRRA Federal Contractor
- Project Management
More than 15 years
This job is no longer active.