As a core member of our New York Development team, you will be engaged in the design, development, financing, execution and delivery of 1 Java, a major urban regeneration project on the Brooklyn Waterfront. Our New York Development portfolio currently includes: 277 Fifth Avenue, 130 condominium residences located on Fifth Avenue and East 30th Street; 100 Claremont, A 40-story mixed-use residential and academic tower located in Morningside Heights, Manhattan; and 1 Java Street, a full city block, mixed use and mixed income development featuring 800 rental units and a new waterfront esplanade.
The Senior Development Manager (SDM) will manage the execution of the development strategy for the project(s). The SDM must manage the commercial outcomes of the project(s) and be responsible for all project deliverables.
The SDM will oversee the requirements of project finalization and is required to convert the project from building(s) to a functioning, occupied development. This will require the coordination of commercial, legal, marketing, and project management skills in a Development Manager capacity as well as ensuring successful delivery in compliance with quality, safety and sustainability standards and to support the achievement of company objectives.
Essential Job Functions, Duties and Responsibilities
The following statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by individuals assigned to this position. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities and skills required of personnel so classified.
- Accountable for providing leadership and mentoring to direct reports to ensure results are delivered
- Be a point of escalation on complex issues
- Ensure direct reports receive sufficient support from the business to carry out responsibilities and that all ‘roadblocks’ to success are removed
- Facilitate a collaborative working environment between the project team and broader LL teams
- Implement and support commitment to Lendlease GMRs and Incident and Injury Free (IIF) policy and vision
- Promote IIF culture and practices with all stakeholders
- Encourage IIF behaviors with the design, development and construction teams
- Responsible for the incorporation and ongoing commitment to Lendlease Global Minimum Requirements (GMR’s) and IIF requirements for the project
- Manage and lead ROAD process in relation to the project
- Take part in regular safety inspections and safety audits
- Manage auditor sign offs
- Develop the Project Business Plan & Outline Development Brief into the Final Development Brief in conjunction with project marketing
- Finalize the Product Control Document
- Assist the GMs in the selecting, briefing and engagement the balance of the design consultants (architect selected by Executive Team and Group Architect)
- Manage the design development process via regularly scheduled coordination meetings and design workshops
- Assist the project marketing in concept proposition testing
- Manage the development’s processes in accordance with the Development Operating Processes
- Provide assistance within the project team on all master planning (built form and public domain) issues
- Preparation and development of resolved master planning solutions for the project for both built form and public domain disciplines, applying to the whole of site, precinct and/or individual places
- Effectively communicate proposed master planning, urban design guidelines and urban design intent of project elements to internal and external stakeholders
- Liaise with relevant project team to ensure timely and appropriate delivery of master planning works for integration with architectural, engineering, planning and public domain documentation and seek the appropriate input of relevant technical material to facilitate the production of master planning proposals
- Contribute to the preparation and lodgement of master planning and public domain components of planning applications, through to approval
- Be highly conversant with local planning processes in general and particularly the relevant planning schemes and rezoning.
- Prepare and lodge, assisted by the GM, the primary DA and engage in meetings and correspondence thereafter to support the application.
- Establish controls that track detailed requirements for various approvals.
- Select, brief and engage the title consultants
- Oversee the title creation process including engagement of title consultants, coordination meetings, application processes and authority liaison
- Oversee the preparation of draft strata plans and subdivision plans as required to support sales contracts
- Monitor and manage the programming of master planning works to meet nominated cash flows and delivery deadlines for each project stage
- Manage the preparation of urban design and other related discipline’s construction estimates
- Manage negotiations with relevant authorities and gain approvals for required urban design works in a timely manner
Consultants and Professional Services
- Select, negotiate terms of appointment, appoint, direct and control consultants to provide design and other professional services by methods agreed with the Project Director on an as required basis
- Prepare consultant design briefs (including preparation and administration of Professional Services Agreements)
- Work with the consultants to achieve best possible design outcomes
Stakeholder Consultation & Marketing Interface
- Together with the Project Director, manage a process of consultation with key stakeholders and the local community. This will include explaining proposals, collecting suggestions and feedback and managing expectations
- Be conversant with and able to interrogate the market research (target market drivers and demographics, competitor analysis etc.) as compiled by project marketing
- Be conversant with competitors’ products. This entails visiting competing projects on a regular basis and monitoring various forms of media (web sites, press and marketing collateral)
- Be conversant with the marketing strategy, branding and positioning of the overall project and branding
- Promote the relationship between brand image and product design attributes
- Inform project marketing of product and design changes that may be material to the representation of the product
General Development, Commercial and Administration Management
- Provide assistance and input into development strategy under direction of the Project Director.
- Provide input and assistance into the preparation and management of a development program that is consistent with the project business plan
- Prepare and maintain inputs for the project Commercial Assessment
- Monitor & report on project costs
- Liaise with the Finance Manager regarding accounts payable and reporting issues.
- Prepare and present reports for Project Control Groups, Management Committee meetings, Quarterly Project Reviews and the like
- Maintain controls in a timely manner so as to be able to report with clarity on development strategy and schedules, the status of costs, revenues, and design
- Forecast and manage design fee budgets. Approve invoices and variations within prescribed limits of authority
Development Strategy & Schedule
- Provide significant contribution and leadership to the preparation of consistent Development Briefs for the Project that meet expectations of the commercial assessment and co-exist with external stakeholder requirements
- Provide Contribute to the establishment and review of development strategy and project scheduling for the project
- Assist in securing the endorsement of all development briefs at the development strategy meeting
- Assist and advise with production of one agreed development schedule on the project that changes only with the approval of the board
- Assist and advise so that development schedule meets planning timeframes, leasing, tenant requirements, funding commitments and the timeframes assumed in the commercial assessment
General Background and Minimum Requirements
- Bachelor degree in a property related field - Property, Valuation, Real Estate, Engineering, Architecture, Construction Management, Economics, Business or similar.
- Minimum 7 years of Development management experience delivering high density urban residential / mix-use projects
- Project and Design Management experience is essential
Lendlease is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.
VEVRRA Federal Contractor
10+ to 15 years
This job is no longer active.