Lendlease and Google have signed a partnership agreement to jointly undertake the master planning, entitlement and development of four new neighborhoods in the San Francisco Bay Area cities of San Jose, Sunnyvale and Mountain View, over the next 15 years, with an estimated end development value of approximately $15 billion. These four districts will be genuine mixed-use neighborhoods and will be comprised of more than 15 million square feet of office, residential, retail, hospitality and community development space. Under the agreement, Google will focus on the delivery of the office components and Lendlease will be the developer, builder and owner of the residential, retail, hospitality and community components. The project will ultimately bring approximately 15,000 new units (mix of condo, multi-family, co-living and affordable housing) to a region that is in need of residential investment. Master planning has already begun and subject to planning approval, delivery of the project should begin as early as 2022.
The Residential Product Architecture Manager is a key role within the organization and will support the Google Development business in all design & technical matters pertaining to residential or residentially led development projects.
The role sits within the Residential Business Unit Product Team and the primary responsibility is to develop and continually improve the architecture of the residential product, helping the Residential Business Unit to achieve operational excellence.
The Residential Product Architecture Manager is to be a leader in residential design, ensuring that the residential product is delivered that embeds the principals of the global Lendlease residential qualitative standards, is appropriate to the requirements of the local market, and meets all necessary compliance criteria. They will lead the management of the external product design consultants and ensure the appropriate market and technical advice is secured to inform product development.
The Residential Product Architecture Manager will provide design and technical leadership within the business and will provide proactive support across a range of strategic objectives within the Business Unit.
Essential Job Functions, Duties and Responsibilities
The following statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by individuals assigned to this position. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities and skills required of personnel so classified.
- Own the Residential Product Architecture, including the design principles and specification, ensuring that the product aligns with LL global standards, compliance requirements, market requirements and project CA’s
- Support Residential Building Design Teams in all design and technical matters
- Support strategic residential activities
- Define, and ensure adoption, of residential product standards including qualitative design standards, compliance standards, safety standards, and sustainability standards
- Support the embedment and transition into digital design processes and contribute to the business’ digital strategy
- Own the residential product, including the design principles and specification including ensuring the product standards are kept up to date with the latest building codes, standards and Lendlease requirements
- Ensure lessons learnt in projects are captured and reflected in the residential product documentation and design
- Be the go to authority on current technical design issues and statutory regulations and guidance
- Support the residential Building Design Teams on all design and technical matters
- Engage with Lendlease Digital and Supply Chain teams to embed Digital ways of working and strategic supply chain initiatives within the residential product
- Support Design & Technical strategic activities including:
- Produce and managing standard briefing documents and information and ensure integration into digital platforms
- Lead Safety@Design strategy, integrating safety standards into the residential product
- Implement product improvement review process to ensure that product is enhanced and kept up to date, manage change process to ensure parcel teams are aware of updates
- Provide design guidance on strategic procurement activities
- Co-ordinate input with Product MEP and Structural Managers when appointed, but lead these processes prior to their appointment
- Fully communicate all Product Architecture requirements and assumptions to Building Design teams
- Attend Building Design Team meetings as required
- Review Building Design briefing and design outputs and comment in conjunction with the LL management teams
- Review and provide endorsement to support project governance to confirm compliance with the residential product requirements
- Contribute to the procurement and tender process for residential design consultants
- Undertake project technical reviews
- Provide proactive project support to colleagues and Building Design Teams for all design and technical matters associated with Residential Product
- Undertake project reviews at appropriate project milestones and to endorse Project Team Compass papers
- Manage input from internal stakeholders where input is required on Product development
- Appoint and manage consultants associated with product development activities
- Liaise with external compliance bodies (e.g. cities planning, CBC) for design and technical issues pertaining to product development and project support
- Co-ordinate with supply chain managers for design and technical issues pertaining to product development and project support
- Engage with the Lendlease Residential Practice to codify residential design, product and other standards and draw on best practice from throughout the organization
General Background and Minimum Requirements
- Qualified architect
- Requires 10+years of experience in design, construction, development, project management, or related areas.
- Advanced knowledge of the development/design and construction industry and company operations required.
- Able to direct, and where necessary negotiate with major design practices
- Thorough knowledge of the complete design and construction process
- Thorough knowledge of design and construction technical details
- Excellent language and communication skills relating to design and technical material
- Experience and detailed knowledge of the Professional Services Agreements
- Experience and detailed knowledge of Designer Scope of Services
- Experience and detailed knowledge of statutory regulations and technical codes of practice
- Competent BIM skills in relevant programs eg. REVIT, Navisworks
- Able to present design and technical material to internal & external audiences
- A subject matter expert with extensive operational experience and knowledge of the property and construction industries, building design principles, and relevant regional legislation
Lendlease is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.
VEVRRA Federal Contractor
- Architecture / Design
- Project Management
7+ to 10 years
This job is no longer active.