About the Organization: Preservation of Affordable Housing, Inc. (POAH) is a national nonprofit organization whose mission is to preserve, create and sustain affordable, healthy homes that support economic security, racial equity and access to opportunity for all. POAH owns and operates more than 12,300 affordable homes at more than 124 properties in 11 states and the District of Columbia. POAH is based in Boston with offices in Chicago and Washington, DC.
POAH’s reach is national in scope, and its pursuit of the preservation mission is empowered by a focus on the business bottom line. Its strong reputation is the result of a demonstrated ability to craft complex financial transactions, tackle tough multi-family projects, and close deals that preserve the affordability of at-risk properties. The organization and its leaders are at the forefront of policy and legislative discussions around housing policy, affordable housing finance and regulatory reform, including energy efficiency in the multifamily sector.
The POAH team is dedicated, creative and passionate. We believe a diverse and inclusive team is a stronger, smarter team and we actively promote diversity and meaningful inclusion of different perspectives among our Board, our staff, our partners, in our procurement of goods and services, and at our communities. We understand that addressing structural racism and achieving racial equity are central to the work we do and we proactively integrate the issue of race in our housing work.
About the Opportunity: POAH is seeking a smart and motivated individual who is passionate about data analytics and affordable housing to work within POAH’s Asset Management team in Boston. For a description of the Asset Management team’s work see This role will be primary focused on data analytics but includes components of affordable housing asset management, real estate finance, real estate law, and technology. The position is ideal for someone with experience working with data who is interested in learning about and/or furthering their knowledge of affordable housing real estate development, portfolio management and property management. The Portfolio Data Analyst will complete projects and analyses that highlight the financial and operational performance of POAH’s owned and emerging portfolio and help the asset management team and other POAH staff manage the existing and third-party managed portfolio. The Portfolio Data Analyst will also respond to industry surveys, conduct research related to portfolio growth and trends, and help administer, enhance and improve our real estate portfolio database. They may also be tasked with assignments related to property refinancings, limited partner exits, real estate tax administration, due diligence, funding applications, data collection, data integrity, and more.
Some of the Portfolio Data Analyst’s specific and essential tasks may include:
- Work with the Portfolio Analytics Manager to generate regular reports on POAH’s portfolio, including the Schedule of Real Estate Owned, Units Owned Schedule, Debt Summary, and other internal financial and operational performance tracking tools
- Research and implement technology, tools and/or processes to improve the collection, accuracy, and presentation of portfolio data
- Work with POAH Communities, POAH’s property management company, to develop reporting tools and key performance indicators that assist in property management oversight and operations
- Collect and analyze financial information about individual POAH properties or the portfolio as a whole
- Develop analyses and presentations about the portfolio for the Board, Asset & Property Management Committee, Senior Staff, Leadership Team or other audiences as needed.
- Obtain property information as needed for portfolio surveys, lender/investor queries, due diligence requests, portfolio information database.
- Perform a variety of tasks for POAH’s enterprise-wide database system (POAH’s Intel or “PI”) which houses property level data points and documentation on acquisition prospects, POAH owned properties, and 3rd party managed properties serving as POAH/POAHC’s key document repository and reporting/dashboard tool. Write basic SQL queries in POAH’s database to assist with data management and collection
- Work with the Senior Portfolio Asset Manager to monitor the financial performance of the existing portfolio including current year performance, budgeting, reforecasting, capital needs and waterfall analysis.
- Offer occasional excel trainings and support to POAH and POAH Communities staff.
Required Experience and Skills:
Candidates for this position should possess the following qualifications:
- Two or more years of experience working in a data analytics capacity
- Advanced understanding of Excel
- Adept at analyzing data, identifying trends and packaging and presenting the findings
- Effective verbal and written communications skills
- Proficiency or exposure to analyzing the financial performance of multifamily real estate assets
- Experience in or exposure to real estate finance and/or property management
- Ability to manage simultaneous and competing activities and commands, remain organized and meet deadlines
- Proficiency in use of computer including Outlook, Word, Teams, OneDrive, and PowerPoint
- Passion for POAH’s mission to preserve, create and sustain affordable and healthy homes and an eagerness to deepen learning and understanding of the affordable housing industry
Additionally, the following qualifications are preferred, though not required:
- Knowledge of affordable housing financing and the regulations and financing applicable to the industry
- Experience with database management
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in business, data, finance, real estate or a related discipline
- Exposure to property management and asset management softwares (i.e. Yardi, MRI, Real Page, Boston Post, Fussion, Starta, etc.)
- Exposure or working knowledge of HUD subsidy programs including Project-Based Section 8, Project-Based Voucher and Housing Choice Voucher programs and contracts
- Exposure or working knowledge of Federal the Low Income Housing Tax Credit Program.
- Knowledge of or experience with SQL.
- Ability to work in the POAH Boston Office at least two days a week
- Ability to travel locally about once a month or out of state a few times a year
Salaries are competitive and commensurate with experience. Benefits include generous vacation time, parental leave, medical, dental, vision, life and disability insurances, tuition reimbursement, generous professional development allowance and 401k retirement plan with company match. Job onboarding and training will be provided.
Applicants must include cover letter and resume.
POAH is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to diversity in the workplace.