RealtyShares is a real estate investment platform that gives investors direct access to quality commercial real estate investment opportunities. We connect our network of individual and institutional investors with experienced real estate operators looking to raise capital to improve properties for higher, better use. Venture-backed by premier investors such as 500 Startups, Union Square Ventures, General Catalyst, Cross Creek Advisors and Menlo Ventures, RealtyShares has deployed more than $840 million over 1,100 investment opportunities in 41 states.
RealtyShares is seeking an experienced and motivated Senior Commercial Real Estate Underwriter to join our dynamic team as we continue to create the leading tech-enabled real estate investment platform. In this role you will join a team focused on analyzing and providing perspective on the appropriate risk-adjusted returns for commercial JV/common equity, preferred equity and mezzanine debt investments. The Underwriting Team is the independent perspective on market trends and asset-level assumptions and is a core input to our Investment Committee process. The role is ideal for someone who loves to evaluate and analyze the details of an investment more so than source investment opportunities or operator relationships. If you have a strong intellectual affinity for the analytical side of commercial real estate, find yourself engrossed in Excel, and enjoy evaluating a steady pipeline of new, varied deals every week, this job is for you.
Additionally, this role provides an outstanding opportunity for motivated individuals with ambitious career goals who want to have an impact on changing the real estate landscape forever and are excited by the prospect of introducing technology (everything from workflow improvements to eventually machine-learning) into the commercial real estate underwriting process.
You will have the opportunity to:
You will have the opportunity to:
- Drive the analysis of appropriate risk-adjusted returns for proposed joint venture/common equity, preferred equity and mezzanine debt investments brought to the RealtyShares platform
- Lead discussions to key executives on the Investment Committee around your analysis, with specific focus on identified risks and creative mitigants
- Grow your knowledge and understanding of commercial real estate through evaluation of hundreds of real estate transactions across a national footprint
- Develop research on key trends within various submarkets and leverage this research to drive thought leadership around potential investment theses, white papers and areas for opportunity
- Advance our technology roadmap for how machine learning, artificial intelligence and automation can drive underwriting productivity and collaboration
- Collaborate closely with the Business Development, Operations, Capital Markets, Product & Engineering, Data Science, Asset Management and Investments teams
- Work closely with the Senior Director of Underwriting Operations to build a process and team that will deliver value to our clients, and subsequently, the firm
- Advance our mission to connect capital to opportunity, while participating in the upside through equity options grants in the company
- 5+ years of experience analyzing commercial real estate equity and mezzanine debt transactions within a principal investing or investment banking capacity
- A risk protection mindset; ability to tear deals apart, identify the key risks and then build them back up by creatively proposing relevant mitigants
- An uncanny ability to remain objective and not fall in love with the deal
- Strong understanding of joint venture operating agreements, as well as how to model joint venture waterfalls with multiple tiers
- Strong understanding of how to evaluate loan agreements for potential default risks and cash management complexities
- Intense attention-to-detail; an ability to run through 3rd-party models and deal materials and spot inconsistencies and weaknesses quickly
- Strong experience within Multifamily/Student-Housing and Hospitality and at least one other asset type across Office (preferably), Retail (preferably) or Industrial
- Expert level knowledge of Microsoft Office products (especially Excel)
- Proficiency in ARGUS Enterprise preferred
- Proven ability to work collaboratively under pressure
- Experience with Salesforce or similar workflow tools preferred
- Passion for our mission and product; ideas around how technology can increase automation within the underwriting process
- Alternative Investments
- Hospitality / Entertainment
5+ to 7 years
This job is no longer active.