Our Commercial Real Estate Development Company seeks an experienced Director of Engineering to lead our Building Engineering team, work with our Construction & Development team, and advise our Executive team on the best course of action with regard management of to our Building Operations.
Job Description Summary
The Director of Engineering has overall responsibility for efficiently running the maintenance operations of a portfolio of commercial and residential buildings located in several regions. The position reports directly to the Chief Operating Officer and is responsible for departmental budgeting, staffing, planning and maintaining compliance standards for the Engineering Department. The position also provides senior technical support and operations direction to the engineering staff. Responsible for maintaining continuity throughout to ensure quality control for all properties, compliance standards, provide direction, coordination and control of activities and personnel in order to deliver superior customer service and to optimize engineering efforts to keep operating expenses as low as possible.
- Implementation of corporate and/or regional initiatives. Provide management and leadership for continuous improvement efforts, including the development of best practice initiatives.
- Plans, implements, coordinates and manages all mechanical operations, preventative maintenance programs, energy management, and staff development programs.
- Monitors appropriate staffing levels. Leads and supports engineering staff in training, development, coaching, mentoring, measuring, appraising and rewarding performance and retention.
- Establishes and monitors programs to ensure compliance with applicable codes, government agency and company directives as relates to building operations, including safety programs.
- Assists in acquisition underwriting and due diligence; provides support to the Leasing and Construction departments.
- Performs regular inspections of properties.
- Recommends and directs alterations, maintenance and reconditioning of properties as necessary.
- Prepares, maintains and is responsible for the Engineering Department budget and capital budget for all operating properties. Also responsible for assisting Property Management in the development of the annual operating budgets for all properties.
- Provides support to the Property Management department by communicating effectively with all Property Managers regarding major repairs, troubleshooting, maintenance practices and budgeting.
- Knowledgeable of building technology equipment operations, including high-rises
- Financial management experience to include the preparation and monitoring of internal budgets
- Demonstrated creativity, initiative, and leadership
- Clear, concise communication, both verbally and written, for technical and management teams
- Ability to manage multiple tasks of differing phases of completion simultaneously
- Knowledge of local, state, and federal codes and regulations
- Solid interpersonal skills; ability to work effectively with all levels of management
- Computer proficiency with a strong knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite (Outlook, Word, Excel, etc.)
- Ability to gather and analyze facts, formulate solutions to problems, weigh priorities, and apply sound judgement in decision making
- Valid driver license
Education and Experience Requirements
- 7-10 years of experience in facilities operations and progressive hands-on experience
- 5 years supervisory experience in operations and maintenance of commercial office buildings, hospitals, or data centers is preferred
- Bachelor’s degree, or Associates degree with applicable experience preferred
- Certification or training in facilities management
- Prior successful supervisory and management experience preferred
Work Environment and Physical Demands
- Building maintenance environment, indoor/outdoor, consisting of exposure to moving mechanical parts and seasonal temperature changes ranging from freezing to extreme heat
- May be exposed to high places, toxic or caustic chemicals, risk of electrical shock, and loud noises
- Must have the ability to navigate each job site physically and visually in order to observe issues and manage building engineers as necessary
- Some professional office environment work using standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and fax machines
- Management and supervisory role
- Exempt position
- Full time position, Monday through Friday 8am to 5pm
- Travel required
- Must legally be allowed to work in the U.S.
- Please provide salary requirements in order to be considered for this position
- Full time employees are eligible to participate in company benefits.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
- Facilities Management
7+ to 10 years
Apply for this job