To apply please visit and search the job reference # WDC0008
Position Title: Development Analyst
Division: Grosvenor Americas
Location: Washington D.C.
Reports to: Senior Vice President, Development
Direct Report Staff: Yes
Employment Status: Exempt
Version: September 25, 2019
Grosvenor Group is one of the world’s largest privately-owned property companies. We develop, manage and invest in property in more than 60 cities around the world.
Through the activities of Grosvenor Britain & Ireland, Grosvenor Americas, Grosvenor Asia Pacific and Grosvenor Europe we diversify the Group’s property portfolio by geography, sector, activity, currency and management teams. Our Indirect Investment business further diversifies the Group’s property interests by backing specialist third-party management teams. It invests Grosvenor’s capital in Africa, Australia, Europe and North and South America.
The purpose of the Group is to improve properties and places to deliver lasting commercial and social benefit. This is achieved by adopting a farsighted perspective, by being locally engaged and sharing and benefitting from our international experience – we call this our Living Cities approach.
About Grosvenor Americas
Grosvenor Americas is an active developer, investor and co-investor across Canada and the USA. Our strategy is to invest in vibrant urban locations where our activities can make a positive contribution to neighborhoods and communities.
Our active development pipeline focuses on projects in urban, transit-oriented and/or amenity-rich neighbourhoods and includes Crescent in San Francisco, The Pacific in downtown Vancouver, as well as the second phase of Grosvenor Ambleside in West Vancouver. Our Structured Development Finance programme invests in apartment, condominium, townhome and mixed-use developments across our active markets, with a focus on vibrant, well-connected locations, and our Investment programme adds value to residential, retail and commercial assets in high-quality places.
Grosvenor Americas is part of the Grosvenor Group, one of the world’s largest privately-owned property companies which develops, manages and invests in property in more than 60 cities around the world.
As at 31 December 2018, Grosvenor Americas had assets under management of US$3.8bn.
Purpose of role
Reporting to the Sr. Vice President, Development, the Development Analyst will support the development team in all phases of development, including sourcing, underwriting, design and approvals, through construction and capitalization. Asset focus will be on retail, residential and mixed use projects in Washington DC and immediate suburbs.
To perform this role successfully, an individual must be able to perform each key responsibility satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or ability needed. This includes the following; other duties may be assigned as needed within skill sets or if additional responsibilities are added.
- Create and manage all financial analytics for potential acquisitions and current development projects, including financial modeling and economic analysis
- Support development team in all development related efforts, including: site identification, zoning interpretation, concept development management, financial and general due diligence coordination.
- Preparation of internal and external monthly and quarterly reporting (both written and numerical) for all ongoing developments and prospective acquisitions.
- Other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree in relevant field required
- 2+ years of work experience in real estate development
- Strong written and oral communication skills are essential
- Ability to work in a small team environment and help direct Development Coordinator, Senior Development Manager and Construction Project Manager as needed.
- Ability to manage a large multidisciplinary consultant team and coordinate each of their contributions into one cohesive project vision.
- Must have strong financial proforma analysis ability in order to comprehensively analyze prospective new deals and accurately present returns based on potentially complicated deal structures.
- Ability to summarize complex issues and opportunities into succinct and actionable deliverables
- Solid understanding of economic and business concepts
- Local market knowledge (markets, public agency relationships, consulting contacts) is preferred.
- Highly proficient in MS Excel, Excel-based financial modeling and analysis required. Working knowledge of MS Word, MS Project.
At Grosvenor, we seek to recruit and develop people who share our values – Integrity, Respect and Trust – and have the skills and ambition to help us implement our strategy. We stick to our promises, build lasting relationships with partners and work closely and responsibly with local communities.
Working conditions and physical requirements
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- The employee is often required to sit for long periods and use their hands and fingers to operate office equipment and to manipulate keys on a keyboard.
- The employee is required to talk and hear.
- The employee is occasionally required to stand, walk, reach with arms and hands, lift, climb or balance, and to stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl.
- Vision abilities required by this job include close vision.
- An office environment with a noise level that is usually quiet to moderate.
Job description revision
This is not necessarily an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, skills, duties, requirements, efforts or working conditions associated with this job. While this job description is intended to be an accurate reflection of the current job, management reserves the right to revise the job or to require that other or different tasks be performed when circumstances change. This job description replaces all previous descriptions for this position.
An Equal Opportunity Employer
Grosvenor provides equal employment opportunities without regard to age, ancestry, color, creed, mental or physical disability, marital status, medical condition, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, veteran status, or any other consideration made unlawful by federal, state, or local laws.
- Financial Analysis
- Due Diligence
2+ to 5 years