As a Development Manager, you support the Director of Development to manage all domestic projects, working with a variety of in-house teams as well as third parties to oversee aspects such as the preliminary site plan, design process from schematic to CDs, construction budget, due diligence report, timeline, and environmental issues. Here are the roles you’ll play:
- Lead business plan implementation, production of all design/construction documents, special project management, permitting, and construction of new projects
- Develop and manage budgets, including pre-development spending, that support cost-effective implementation of Cortland’s strategies, tactics, and operating plans
- Produce standard outline specifications that teams can easily access for use in new developments
- Ensure adherence to quality standards and review project deliverables
- Manage the RFP process in tandem with Cortland’s in-house construction team to select general contractors to carry out new development projects
- Direct the administration, communication, and overall performance of general contractors, design consultants, attorneys, and capital partners
- Drive the entitlement and permitting process and requirements for each project by working with various local municipalities; represent the company and the project at all public and private meetings
- Serve as the link between Design and Construction teams to ensure cohesive coordination of complex projects from conceptualization to buildout
- Partner with Development and Operations leadership to develop the business plan and project roadmap for each new domestic development; collaborate with Operations team to provide asset management oversight to guide the community to stabilization
- Perform site visits with the general contractors, manage their design work, verify their budget submissions, and approve their payment applications
- Perform site feasibility analysis of potential new projects, including project strategy; collaborate with internal Cortland stakeholders, including Finance, Construction, Operations, etc.
- Prepare monthly reporting for internal and external constituents that contains the status of the project, including budget, general contractor change requests, potential risk, contingency and allowance reconciliations, construction schedule, construction update, and cash flow
- Oversee important tasks like estimating, budgeting, scheduling, negotiating contracts, purchasing, controlling quality, and reporting
- Act as the owner’s representative when attending project owner’s meetings
- Review RFIs and applicable submittals as needed for owner input
- Supervise, train, and coach associates on the Development team
The Impact You Can Make
- Your management and oversight ensures that all development projects are completed on time, within budget, and at the highest quality.
- The developmental success rate for the projects you manage has never been higher, thanks to your close attention to detail and recommendations for improvement.
- Investors could not be more thrilled with their returns because the construction and design projects you supervise have added so much value to their assets
Your Building Blocks of Success
- Strong 5+ years of experience in real estate and stellar 3+ years of multifamily/hospitality experience
- Experience creating developmental financial models required; experience in the multifamily industry preferred
- Bachelor’s degree in finance, real estate, construction management, engineering, related major, or equivalent experience; graduate degree preferred
- Excellent quantitative, analytical, and problem-solving skills
- Superb written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills as well as contract negotiation expertise
- Ability to perform without immediate supervision and to handle multiple projects across various stages
- Effective use of various project management software to plan, monitor, and report on projects
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite applications
- Architecture / Design
- Project Management
This job is no longer active.