A private equity investment manager specializing in commercial real estate with approximately $2+ billion of AUM throughout the U.S., is seeking an Associate to join the Credit team in its mid-town Manhattan location. The Associate will assist senior management of the firm with a full range of high-yield commercial real estate debt investment activities. This position involves numerous responsibilities, primarily analyzing and underwriting investment opportunities by creating financial cash-flow and valuation models, working with the investment team to determine the structure of the investment, undertaking due diligence responsibilities, preparing investment-committee memoranda, and transaction execution. The Associate will be part of a small, focused team and will be involved in nearly all aspects of transaction execution and management. Note: commercial real estate debt experience is required.
Responsibilities Will Include:
- Conduct financial analysis and underwriting of potential mezzanine and preferred equity investment opportunities utilizing Excel and Argus software
- Prepare cash flow models that will be utilized to value real estate investments through DCF analysis and other valuation techniques
- Undertake transaction due diligence responsibilities including analyses of a property’s title and entitlement status, engineering and environmental condition, tenants and in-place lease review, operations and related financial statement review, analysis of market and competitive position, and other due diligence issues. Involves substantial data collection and review, plus coordination of legal, financial and commercial advisers
- Facilitate the preparation of investment memoranda for the firm’s investment committee for approval
With respect to cultural fit, the candidate will be self-motivated and energized by working in a group of thoughtful, smart, fast-paced and successful colleagues. He or she will enjoy being a part of a growing organization focused on excellence and will be a naturally collaborative individual who enjoys interacting with professionals at all levels. Additionally, he or she will be a strong team player and have the ability to take initiative proactively with discretion and judgment.
Desired Skills and Experience
- Bachelors degree from a top-tier university
- Course-work emphasis on Finance, Economics and/or Real Estate is preferred but not required
- 2-4 years of directly relevant work experience, preferably at a top-tier investment bank, private-equity firm, or advisory firm
- MBA’s will be considered (with no more than 4 years total work experience)
- Advanced financial modeling skills with experience modeling CRE assets and capital structures
- Advanced experience with Argus
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Meticulous attention to detail
- A self-starter with the desire and ability to work well with limited direction in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment
- Ability to balance multiple concurrent projects
- Flexibility and adaptability to various changing working conditions based on the priorities of senior management
- Alternative Investments
- Hospitality / Entertainment
2+ to 5 years
This job is no longer active.