|Closing Date: ||11/30/20 at 5 pm CT ||Salary: ||$85,467.20 - $108,201.60 Annually |
|Occupational Group: ||Civil Service ||Job Type: ||Regular Full-Time |
|Recruitment: ||Entrance ||Vacancy Location: ||Neighborhood Services |
The principal function of an employee in this class is to lead and direct the development zoning section and its personnel to obtain compliance with the City’s zoning ordinances, design ordinances, and other related regulations. Supervises and assists zoning staff in the Neighborhood Services Department by providing direction and interpretation in the enforcement of the City Zoning Ordinance, City Design Ordinance and other ordinances related to development and land use matters, sign regulations and other zoning enforcement issues. Renders judgement on compliance issues generally related to land use, development zoning and existing zoning conditions on property. Provides leadership for the division in promoting a high level of customer service, while being proactive in the pursuit of compliance with zoning requirements.
Please Note: Recruitment for and the projected timeline for filling this vacancy is not impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic. This position is part of an operation that must be performed regardless of circumstances.
ACCEPTABLE EXPERIENCE AND TRAINING
- Graduation from an accredited college or university with a bachelor’s degree in community and regional planning, education, public relations, building construction, public administration, business administration, or related field; and
- Three years of experience in zoning enforcement or related field or in the administration or supervision of zoning or related code enforcement. or
- Experience may be substituted for education at the rate of each two years of experience in excess of the minimum (three years) for one year of education, provided the applicant can demonstrate proficiency in the subject enumerated above, and no more than two years of the required education may be substituted;
- Education may be substituted for the required experience at the rate of one year of post graduate education for one year of experience, provided the applicant can demonstrate the additional education is in the community and regional planning area, and no more than two years of the required three years of experience is substituted.
REQUIRED SPECIAL QUALIFICATIONS
- Ability to pass a background check.
- Ability to read maps and identify colors. (zoning maps)
- Possession of a valid Iowa Driver’s License, or proof of equivalent mobility.
- Certification as a zoning inspector by the International Conference of Building Officials within 24 months of employment.
EXAMPLES OF ESSENTIAL WORK (ILLUSTRATIVE ONLY)
- Supervises and evaluates the work of employees; recommends personnel actions related to selection, disciplinary procedures, performance, leaves, grievances, work schedules, and assignments; administers personnel policies and procedures;
- Promotes and demonstrates a high level of customer service;
- Provides procedural direction and technical assistance to section personnel and the general public in matters related to zoning, sign and other development regulations;
- Reviews plans for compliance with zoning regulations;
- Attends Zoning Board of Adjustment meetings and provides technical assistance and acts as staff advisor upon request;
- Acts as a liaison on issues related to development zoning between the Development Services Department, other City departments, and local developers, builders, contractors, and attorneys;
- Prepares correspondence and written reports;
- Issues certificates of occupancy as allowed by City ordinance;
- Assists in the development and maintenance of development zoning regulations and participates in the development of departmental policy;
- Provides staff and divisional supervision as deemed necessary;
- Assures records regarding development zoning related issues are properly maintained and information is accurately filed;
- Assures staff are fulfilling duties consistent with departmental policy and mission and takes corrective action as necessary;
- Performs related duties as required.
An education and experience review will be completed on all qualified applicants. Those applicants deemed most qualified based on the education and experience rating will be considered for certification to an eligibility list for appointment. Applicants who need a reasonable accommodation must inform this office at (515) 283-4213 or TTY at Iowa Relay at 711 or 1-800-735-2942 prior to the closing date.