RockStep Capital is a fast-growing real estate investment company based in Houston that plans to acquire 20-30 distressed malls in the next 3 years. RockStep invests primarily in shopping centers (malls, grocery, and power centers) in secondary and tertiary markets throughout the US. The Company has built or acquired over 8MM square feet of shopping centers and currently operates in eleven states.
RockStep has a strong executive team with deep experience in acquisition, redevelopment, leasing, property management, and construction management. RockStep operates with high integrity and has excellent relationships with tenants, communities, investors, and service professionals. The mission of the company is to make small-town America better. They attempt to do that by actively managing an asset that is critical to the well-being of the community.
The company has 25 RockSteps that comprise “The RockStep Way” (see rockstep.com). The RockStep way defines the rules of behavior at RockStep. They are taken VERY seriously and are the core of how we operate.
RockStep’s four key operating strategies:
- To be the most prudent acquirer of tertiary and smaller secondary market shopping centers in the US
- To operate superbly (leasing, property management, accounting, investor communications, construction management) to protect our investors
- To be excellent at finding the right equity and debt capital to grow the business
- To be excellent at selling the asset to achieve the targeted investor returns
The company intends to grow its business with highly-skilled executives who have small-town values: a strong work ethic with high integrity.
We are actively recruiting for a Director of Leasing to join the company. Reporting to the Chief Operating Officer, the position may be based in Houston, TX, or remotely. The position will require some travel. This is an opportunity to become an integral member of a cohesive team where every member is recognized for the vital role they play in the success of the company.
Responsibilities will include new tenant and renewal leasing of Rockstep Capital shopping centers located primarily in tertiary and strong secondary retail markets. Successful candidates will be self-motivated, highly organized, and proactive. S/he should have mall leasing background, an understanding of standard retail lease terms, enjoy the art of negotiation, and will have strong attention to detail.
Specific duties shall include but not be limited to the following:
- Track lease expirations at assigned properties. Contact tenants at least six months out to start negotiations for renewals so completed before expiration. Research lease and tenant prior to contacting to ensure lease renewal addresses any issue that may include: option terms, occupancy cost—sales trends, co-tenancy or exclusive language, etc.
- Field all prospect calls for new tenants for assigned properties and maintain list of prospects. Negotiate new deal rates and terms.
- Build and maintain a strong network of retail and broker contacts in pursuit of new tenant prospects for properties.
- Negotiate Letters of Intent and lease terms and follow the review process with legal through the lease draft and redraft process.
- Work with corporate to make sure marketing brochures are updated with current shop layouts and site plans-demographic data.
- Schedule and attend meetings with retailers and brokers at the International Council of Shopping Center (ICSC) conferences in May, October, December and others if assigned.
- Research market trends with retailers that are growing or downsizing and analyze how those trends may apply to Rockstep properties.
- Work with Lease Administrator on lease abstracts and approval.
- Work with the construction department on tenant build-out and ROI calculations.
This job is no longer active.