Investment Manager - Job Description
Abacus Capital is seeking a Real Estate Investment Manager to lead the execution and on-going management of its tactical real estate investments.
Investment Managers at Abacus Capital take a leading role in the evaluation, structuring, negotiation, and financing of our transactions as well as in the monitoring of portfolio properties. Our investment professionals work on a small deal team in a fast-paced and entrepreneurial environment. They have direct and constant interaction with senior members of the firm as well as the senior management of the portfolio properties. Investment Managers have a significant level of responsibility from the outset of their career at Abacus Capital.
As important as prior work experience is a candidate’s self-motivation, a demonstrated commitment to excellence and an unwillingness to compromise in everything they do.
The Investment Manager will evaluate new investment opportunities to determine their suitability for Abacus Capital’s investment strategy and participate in the managing of existing assets. The initial evaluation will include an assessment of the investment opportunities and risk factors as well as a determination on pricing and projected investment returns. Duties will include site inspections, property cash flow analysis such as IRR, present value analysis, partnership allocations, and other related real estate financial analyses, tenant credit analysis, third party report reviews, market analysis, and competitive positioning. The Investment Manager will prepare cash flow and pricing models for evaluating existing and prospective real estate investments, and will oversee the financial, economic, physical, market, leasing, and structural due diligence for prospective investments. The Investment Manager should be able to understand the entire due diligence process and independently and proactively manage the process through closing. In addition, the Investment Manager will prepare detailed lease abstracts for existing and prospective properties, which includes analyzing the impact that each new lease will have on the value of each asset. The Investment Manager will manage and participate in the preparation and presentation of Investment Committee presentations and annual business plans.
Financial Management and Modeling
- Create, maintain, own and update financial models precisely and accurately, ensuring accuracy and completeness in Excel and Argus.
- Manage the quality and timeliness of information received from operating partners and/or 3rd party providers.
- Review and analyze historical and projected operational data gathered from the operating partner and/or 3rd party providers. Ensure accuracy and completeness and update the model precisely and accurately.
- Perform detailed review of financial information for compliance with GAAP accounting standards. Work with partner to correct any discrepancies on a timely basis.
- Monitor and track investment level debt, including covenants, escrows, maturities, prepayments, and reporting requirements to the lender. Ensure compliance.
- Ensure that all operational information is appropriately captured in the financiwal model. Prepare monthly reporting package (model, bridge and tactical plan) for investment team leader review and approval by the stated reporting deadlines.
- Prepare quarterly asset and equity valuation calculations for each investment. Supplement this calculation with market data and other documentation to support the valuation for the quarter. Obtain investment team approval.
Other Investment Activities
- Assist and oversee the Investment Team in the preparation of quarterly investment valuations by stated deadlines.
- Assist and oversee the Investment Team with exits including due diligence materials, pro-rations, pricing scenarios, etc.
- Assist and oversee the Investment Team in preparing analysis on other related transactions as needed or other ad hoc requests from investors, potential lenders, brokers, buyers, etc.
- Participate in weekly sales, operations, construction, management and/or leasing calls as they apply to each deal. Track prospects, traffic, trends, and overall market conditions as applicable. (rental rates, condo sales, vacancy, etc)
- Manage and provide leadership to Associates
- Work closely with Managing Partner to assist in various asset management tasks as needed for each deal.
- 4-6 years’ experience in investment management, investment banking, or other real estate capital markets functions
- A deep working knowledge of the principles of valuation, the investment acquisition process, and asset management
- Superior understanding of Excel and financial modeling process (a case study may be given top finalist candidates to ensure high level of modeling aptitude before an offer is conferred)
- Bachelor’s Degree required
- Pre-MBA candidates with a proven track record of high achievement strongly preferred
- Highly motivated, assertive and internally driven candidates desired
- Must be committed to maintaining high standards of excellence and ethics in all aspects of life
- Clear, articulate communicator
- Goal-oriented and diligent personality
About Abacus Capital
Founded in 2017, Abacus Capital is a tactical real estate opportunity investor focused on the acquisition and development of income producing commercial real estate in growth markets across the southeastern United States.
Abacus Capital targets high quality or otherwise irreplaceable assets with lower risk profiles where that risk might be mis-priced or otherwise misunderstood. We strive to identify inefficiencies or dislocations in the real estate capital markets that generate asymmetric return profiles, often characterized by downside protection through attractive going-in bases and current income. At various points in a market cycle we will typically focus on investing client capital either offensively or defensively. However, special situations may arise on an episodic basis where we believe a particular offensive investment opportunity may make strategic sense on a risk-adjusted basis in an otherwise defensive investing environment.
Our mission is to identify investment opportunities that we believe offer our investors the most compelling risk-adjusted returns in a dynamic capital markets environment. In order to maximize our ability to capitalize on market dislocations or inefficiencies, we often leverage our extensive market relationships to partner with or hire best in class operators based on the specific opportunity, product type and strategy. Through a disciplined approach to capital allocation and strategic market selection we focus on value-oriented assets, seeking to generate superior returns for our clients by identifying opportunities with asymmetric return profiles often characterized by downside protection and durable in-place income.
The Abacus Capital team embodies the firm’s core principles: integrity, performance, accountability, discipline, agility, value orientation, and client alignment.
- Asset Management
- Alternative Investments
2+ to 5 years
This job is no longer active.