The Self-Storage Division of Johnson Development Associates (JDA) is developing Class A self-storage facilities in high-growth markets throughout the United States. The Division has developed or acquired 33 self-storage facilities since the early 1980s and in the past 18 months has built a development pipeline in excess of 50 new self-storage projects nationwide. The Johnson Group has a long history of successful national rollouts. Below is a list of some of the companies The Johnson Group has developed over the years:
• WJB Video (1987-1993): largest Blockbuster franchisee with more than 200 stores nationwide
• Extended Stay America (founded 1995 and sold 2004): developed 472 extended stay hotels nationwide
• Advance America: opened more than 2,250 branches nationwide
• OTO Development: national hotel platform specializing in developing select service hotels in high barrier to entry markets
• JDA’s Multifamily Division: founded in 1996, JDA’s Multifamily Division has created over 6,500 apartment homes spanning both coasts, with a rapidly expanding footprint
• JDA’s Industrial Division: developed and managed multiple standalone sites and 25 industrial parks consisting of approximately 20 million square feet of commercial space, and has partnered with over 130 clients in the process
• Pure Barre (acquired by Johnson sponsored WJ Partners in 2012): grew Pure Barre franchised locations from 110 in 2012 to more than of 350 in 2015, continuing both domestic and international expansion
The Self-Storage Division of Johnson Development Associates, Inc. (JDA) is seeking a Development Manager (“the Position”) to be based in Summit, NJ. The Position reports to the Senior Development Manager of the Northeast Self-Storage Division and will be responsible for executing on the Company’s pipeline of development opportunities. Day-to-day responsibilities include consultant team management, coordinating project design, assisting in obtaining necessary approvals and permits, budget forecasting, bid administration, contract negotiations, construction management, and project delivery. Additionally, the Development Manager will assist and support the Real Estate Manager in their efforts to acquire new development opportunities. The Position will require travel and some overnight trips. Below is a list of some of the additional responsibilities the Position will entail.
• Lead teams of consultants and contractors to implement JDA’s regional capital deployment goals and objectives.
• Plan internal and external resources as required to coordinate and monitor every facet of the development process for assigned projects, including:
o Assist Real Estate Managers in evaluating land acquisitions
o Hire and manage design professionals and consultants
o Assist the Director of Entitlements in obtaining necessary planning and zoning approvals
o Engage appropriate service providers and/or consultants to provide conceptual and pre-construction estimating for all aspects of development
o Oversee the preparation of construction schedules and budgets
o Manage procurement of project permits and approvals
o Regulate on-site inspections of progress & quality
o Manage contractors to insure timely, on budget delivery
• Review due diligence materials and present findings to Management on viability of sites for development.
• Assist in preparing the deal financial and feasibility analysis for projects.
• Manage the pre-construction and construction process including but not limited to preparation of estimates, plans and specifications, permitting, bidding and finalizing construction contracts within established parameters under the general supervision of the Senior Development Manager.
• Provide weekly construction reports to management and internal team members.
• Assist in developing site plans that deliver the best-in-class product consistent with the market demands while achieving the investment assumptions approved in the underwriting process.
• Assist the legal team in managing contracts, easements, and any necessary agreements necessary for development.
• Monitor trends in the local construction market including pricing and availability of materials and labor.
• Research design and construction alternatives and value engineering opportunities that will enhance new developments without compromising functionality or life cycle costs.
• Interface with various public agencies and develop working relationships.
• Understand & convey the inherent risks associated with a particular project.
This description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by an employee within this position. The actual duties, responsibilities, and qualifications may vary based on assignment and needs of JDA.
Essential Skills and Experience
• Bachelor's Degree in civil engineering or construction management
• 2+ years of experience working in an engineering, construction or real estate-related field preferred
• High degree of proficiency in MS Office Suite (Word, PowerPoint, Excel)
• Proficiency in Microsoft Project and Projectmates preferred
• Ability to travel up to 50%.
• Detail-oriented and organized
• Ability to prioritize and accomplish multiple tasks effectively
• Represent Johnson Development Associates, Inc. in a positive and professional manner
• Maintain a high regard of confidentiality for company information
• Exceptional written and verbal skills
• Ability to thrive in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial work environment
• Work and manage a team well under pressure
• Proficient organizational skill set; documenting and maintaining notes from correspondence and meetings and cataloging them for easy retrieval
Position Type and Expected Hours of Work
This is a full-time position, and hours of work and days are Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Evening and occasional weekend work may be required as job duties demand.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of the job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to stand; walk; use hands, handle or feel; and reach with hands and arms.
Interested Applicants Should Contact:
Human Resources Director
Johnson Development Associates, Inc.
The Company is committed to diversity and equal opportunity employment. The Company does not discriminate on the basis of race, creed, color, ethnicity, national origin, religion, sex, pregnancy (including medical needs due to pregnancy, child birth or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, age, disability, genetic information, veteran status, military obligations, or marital status. This policy applies to all areas of employment, including employment status and opportunities such as hiring, internal promotions, training, opportunities for advancement, and termination and applies to all Company employees and applicants.
- Project Management
- Due Diligence
1+ to 2 years