REAL ESTATE PROJECT MANAGER, Design and Construction
APAH is an award-winning non-profit affordable housing developer. APAH’s mission is to develop, preserve and own quality affordable places to live; to promote stability and opportunity for our residents; and, to advocate with the people and communities we serve. APAH is a mission driven, community minded and resident focused organization guided by six core values: compassion, integrity, collaboration, innovation, excellence and impact.
About the Position:
The Project Manager (Design and Construction) will be a hard-working, smart, creative and conscientious team player. He/she will manage key aspects of the design and construction phases of numerous affordable housing multi-family projects under development and work closely with other members of the APAH team, the design team, general contractors, public agency staff, lenders, partners and consultants. The Project Manager (Design and Construction) reviews architectural designs and building plans, identifies and coordinates the work of design and construction teams and other development partners.
Financing & Construction (60%)
- Prepare applications for project funding, including predevelopment, construction and permanent financing and submit related applications and documentation as required by lenders/funders.
- Oversee and coordinate team through construction, and monitor the schedule, cost and quality of work. Ensure construction remains on schedule and on budget.
- Monitor compliance and tenant-related issues including retail tenants through lease-up and coordinate with property management as needed.
- Manage final punch lists and construction close out as well as betterment contracts.
- Work with the construction management firm and project manager to review potential change orders or other construction related cost impact.
- Prepare construction draw requests as needed and submit status reports to funders as required. Prepare close-out reports for property management and asset management.
Feasibility, Entitlement, and Design (20%)
- Coordinate and provide support to other Project Managers on the work of the design team, including architect, engineering and environmental services, general contractor, etc.
- Collaborates with the Associate Director to conduct detailed program requirement meetings and design document reviews to ensure compliance with APAH standards.
- Assist the development process from predevelopment and acquisition, through site plan review, design and permitting.
- Review budgets to assess feasibility and present to potential funders and partners.
- Assist with financial closings, due diligence, monitoring progress and checklists, and assuring timely completion of all steps required for a successful transaction and handling related post-closing obligations.
- Prepare periodic reports for staff and board members regarding pipeline and active projects.
- Leverage financial, political and community support for projects. Work with neighborhood groups and County staff to secure regulatory approvals and easements.
- Create yield analysis on new acquisitions for early stage evaluation prior to selection of architects.
Portfolio & Operations Support (20%)
- Provide internal consultation for select non-development activities within APAH, including building improvements for APAH’s rental portfolio.
- Liaison between APAH real estate team and operations/asset management on building related issues.
- Other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Able to successfully manage multi-faceted projects. Demonstrated ability in project management, including coordinating teams, managing schedules, tasks and construction.
- Prior experience in construction, engineering and/or architecture.
- Proficiency in computer software, including Word, Excel and Power Point.
- Team player that can interact productively and positively with other members of the APAH staff.
- Responsive to direction and supervision. Good sense of humor essential.
- Eager to learn new skills and master complex development assignments. Strong organizational skills, self-starting and self-directed work habits. Detail-oriented.
- Prefer experience with federal, state and local housing programs and funding sources, including the low-income housing tax credit, HOME and CDBG.
- Good oral and written communication skills, including ability to make presentations to civic leaders, residents and neighbors.
- Manage a variety of project consultants, including legal, financial and construction/design.
Education and Experience Requirement
- Minimum 3-7 years of real estate project management experience, preferably with affordable housing multi-family. Track record in developing successful real estate projects on budget and on schedule.
- Skills in preparing and analyzing financial models and working with complex Excel spreadsheets essential.
- Degree in construction management, architecture, planning, finance, business, law or related field. Construction oversight experience strongly preferred.
- Primarily required to sit; use hands to finger, handle or feel objects, tools or controls; and talk or hear.
- Occasionally lift and/or move up to fifty (50) pounds.
- Able to walk around properties and construction sites, including climbing stairs and navigating sites with limited access
Expected Hours of Work
This is a full-time, exempt position. Typical work days are Monday through Friday, with a total of 40 hours worked a week between the hours of 8 a.m. and 6:30 p.m. However, there may often be times when longer works hours are required. Occasional evening or weekend hours for community/board meetings related to projects and/or special events; additional work hours as required for settlements, preparation of funding requests, other submissions and applications with tight deadlines; attend training conferences or workshops as requested (including some possible overnight travel and stays).
Salary and Benefits
Commensurate with experience. APAH has a competitive benefits package that includes medical, dental and vision insurance, long and short-term disability insurance, life insurance, 401k and paid leave. Our corporate office in Ballston has free parking.
Equal Employment Opportunity
APAH offers equal employment opportunities (EEO) to employees and applicants for employment and prohibits unlawful discrimination and unlawful harassment on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, gender, age, disability, gender identity or expression, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation or any other protected classes or categories as defined by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment including, but not limited to recruitment, selection, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leave of absence, training program participation, compensation and all other terms, conditions and privileges of employment.
How to Apply
Please submit your resume and cover letter to resumes @apah.org. Resumes will be accepted until the position is filled.
- Project Management
2+ to 5 years
This job is no longer active.