Oaktree Capital Management L.P. is a leader among global investment managers specializing in alternative investments, with $120 billion in assets under management as of June 30, 2019. The firm emphasizes an opportunistic, value-oriented and risk-controlled approach to investments in credit, private equity, real assets and listed equities. The firm has over 900 employees and offices in 18 cities worldwide.
Scope and Responsibilities:
Oaktree is seeking an Associate or Vice President to join the Real Estate team in its Los Angeles office. The position holder will be responsible for leading strategic portfolio analysis in support of Oaktree Real Estate’s open-end core-plus business, with an emphasis on modeling fund-level cash flows, monitoring portfolio composition and identifying opportunities to optimize investment and fund performance. He/she will be involved in all operational aspects of the business and will act as the liaison between accounting, asset management, client relations and deal teams.
• Continually monitor investment composition and performance to make sure each fund matches overall portfolio strategy; call attention when strategies are out of balance (i.e., over/underweight in geography, property type, etc.)
• Evaluate portfolio strategy and performance relative to various benchmarks (NCREIF, NFI-ODCE, MSCI, etc.)
• Aggregate data and share observations with senior management in a sophisticated, concise fashion. This includes maintaining fund models, updating returns, and tracking liquidity, distributions, fees, promotes.
• Run fund-level financial analyses assessing the impact of all major property-level decisions (leasing, capex, refinancing, sale, etc.) on fund-level return projections; evaluate prospective investment opportunities in the context of overall fund composition and performance.
• Develop an intimate understanding of the portfolio’s underlying assets, especially as it pertains to key business plan initiatives and risks, by working closely with asset management and deal teams.
• Contribute to marketing and client relations efforts by providing as-needed information on asset- and fund-level performance.
• Act as the liaison between accounting, asset management, deal teams and valuations to ensure that investment performance, monitoring and decision-making is being optimized in the context of the overall portfolio.
• Assist in the review and/or preparation of quarterly investor and fund reporting.
• 5-10 years of work experience at a commercial real estate investment firm.
• Deep experience at the asset level; understanding of multiple property types.
• Background in accounting is highly preferred.
• Superior command of real estate private equity and public market investment concepts.
• Highly skilled in modeling investments in Microsoft Excel.
• Strong financial and analytical ability.
• Outstanding interpersonal skills and a sense of self-awareness.
• This individual must be a smart, quick thinker who can respond immediately to matters affecting the fund business.
• High level of integrity and keen work ethic.
• Strong problem-solving skills combined with solid business acumen.
• Excellent written and oral communication skills.
A Bachelor’s degree in a real estate, finance, accounting, economics or related field.
Oaktree Capital Management, L.P. is an equal opportunity employer.
5+ to 7 years
Apply for this job